1) PG/Tenant Identity - Take a signed copy of an
original identity proof i.e. driving license, passport, voter's ID or workplace
ID. Verify from workplace/school/college the authenticity of tenant.
2) Police Tenant Verification - It is mandatory
to submit a complete tenant verification form to the nearest police authority. A
sample form can be downloaded here, the same can
vary in different locations, please check with your nearest police station.
3) Lease Agreement/Contract - Study the terms and conditions of
the lease agreement. . If in doubt get the same prepared by an advocate for
proper clauses. The document is vital which proves your status as a landlord
giving rights to the tenant. The same can be typed on a stamp paper and then
notarized or it can be registered thru the sub-registered by paying the
prescribed fee. Make a copy and give to the tenant. The original document is to
be kept by you for future reference.
3) Rent/Security - In the agreement carefully note
that the rent, advance rent and the security amount has been properly entered. A
security of one month is the usual practice to cover up damages which might
occur when tenant leaves.
4) Inventory - A list of the inventory is
preferably annexed in the agreement to avoid unpleasantness at the time of
tenant vacating the premises. The inventory page has to be signed by the tenant.
The same includes furniture and fixing given for common use of the tenants.
5) Condition of bedroom/bathroom/common areas -
The landlord is to see that the condition of the living quarters of the paying
guest/tenant is in proper shape as spelled in the contract. Sanitary leaks
should be avoided and cleanliness properly maintained.
6) Building Insurance - It is advisable to insure
the premises. Insurance premium is based on the value of the building and can
cover earthquake, flood, riots, fire, terrorism etc. It is highly
advisable because of the nominal premium for the cover.
7) Electricity/Water - It is preferable to have a backup
for electricity as summers are hot. The cost of inverters which are silent have
come down. Water should be uninterrupted through a
constant overhead tank supply.
8) Meals - When the landlord decides to offer meals
it is highly advisable to only offer high standard and hygienic meals.
9) Drinking Water - It is advisable to invest in a
dependable water-purifier system like aquaguard, in places where impurities are
common go for the (RO) Reverse Osmosis system..
11) Fan/Air Cooler/Air Conditioner - Each room
should have a basic fan to tide over the summer months. An air cooler doesn't
cost much and is advisable during dry summers. For better service go for an air
12) TV/Internet WIFI - A television set is a basic
source of entertainment for the paying guest. The cost of providing internet
access thru a wifi setup has come down drastically. Go for an unlimited monthly
plan and set up a hot spot for your tenant.
13) Security of Premises - The landlord has to see that
the premises and the belongings of the the tenant are secured from theft by
employing a trusted guard in the premises.
14) Keys - Provide duplicate keys to the paying guest and
change the lock and keys when they move out, this simple procedure can save you
future intrusions in the future.
15) Important Telephone Nos. - Display a list of
telephone nos. to be contacted in times of emergency in a prominent spot
in the premises.